Sunday, October 26, 2014

'Individuals' USA

I had already had the privilege of spending a few amazing years in Santa Barbara, California. I originally ventured out to this spot because I felt in need for a more inspiring environment to study photography. After a few years of practicing and learning under some of the great local teachers at Brooks Institute of Photography, I returned to Delaware to plan and pursue my future goals…

The summer of 2011 marked a convenient occasion that would allow myself to attempt a short but well-planned cross-country trip. My decision to make this venture laid in the simple yet inescapable fact that I wanted to travel and take pictures… After about thirty days on the road, 35 interviews and leaving 24,000 km behind me, I realized how much this country had to offer in terms of sights and sounds. Either way, I knew this would mark the perfect opportunity to develop a well structured set of projects.

As a photographer, I highly enjoy meeting new individuals. With this in mind, I wanted to do a project that went in the photo-story direction. A photograph or portrait accompanied with a short paragraph or article seemed like a solid human-interest piece that yielded value on many levels.

Naturally, the final project would be a more straightforward style of what one would expect from travel photography– a little photo-journalism, night time long exposures, fall colors, street signs, out-of-car shots and panoramic. There is allot to photograph out there, so I both hope you will show an interest in this little production and follow it as the project continues overseas. 

To finish, I would like to explain a few things about the style of the portraits captured. Some time back, when I was interning for a very talented photographer in Santa Barbara, I had the opportunity to witness the creation of a very interesting project. Eliot Crowley, my mentor at the time, would travel this road north and meet interesting people along the way. He would talk to them, get to know them a bit and ask if they wouldn’t mind being photographed for his project. I found inspiration in these ideas and the way they were captured. A few year later and with the upcoming travel opportunities, I decided to attempt a similar but not precisely the same style project. I opted to use a few similar shooting techniques with a couple personal adjustments. In my vision, the lighting would be about 45 degrees of camera axis and should be a harsh light source– allowing for a pool of light to bring the viewer’s attention to that individual. Also, I wanted to include some words on these people and the area we were currently in. With these modifications, I hoped to create something a little different yet more fitting to my capture styles.


If you would like to read up on this project and get to know the people involved, 
please visit the standalone blog here: https://acrosstheusa2011.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment