Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A 'Homage' to Large Format Photography.

During my time in California, I was introduced to the classic style of shooting well known from the beginning of the century--well, the beginning of photography. These cameras are brand new, but present the exact same technology used back in the day. You wont find sensitive chips, transistors and such in these camera, just good old fashion mechanics. Capturing images on a 4x5inch transparency is allot of fun, but a very slow process. You can only capture one image at a time, then you have to 'change the film' and so forth, to continue your projects. The result this size negative yields in comparative megapixels (for those that think in pixels) we'd be looking at a scan in ranges of hundreds of megapixels and up depending on the quality scan and film size.

The below, left image was shot a few years back when I took a road-trip with a friend to Yosemite National Park. Right outside the park, you'll find this lake with salt-rock formations created over thousands of years. This spot has been photographed by all the greats in photography and thus in 'homage' I figured I would shoot using my large format camera in the style of the classics-- only below,  in color. The differences between my digital captures at this location and my film shots are like night and day... I truly love film!

left: Mono Lake, CA -- 6:00am, 2008
Horseman LE large format camera, 210mm Schneider lens
Fujifilm Velvia 100 sheet film, f/32 @ 25sec. 
right: Santa Barbara, CA -- 2:30am, 2008
Horseman LE large format camera, 210mm Schneider lens
Fujifilm Velvia 100 sheet film, f/11 @ 2.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment